Ordinary Ways to Invite Peace into Your World
Hello, and welcome to the final blog in our Peaceful Summer 10-Day Challenge.
Today we will review all that we've learned about living a peaceful life and sharing peace with others.
Ways to help ourselves feel peaceful on the inside:
- Have a daily stretch. Exercise your muscles. Do yoga.
- Get outside. Take a walk each day. Lose yourself in the wonder of nature.
- Engage in peaceful pastimes. Craft, build, create.
- Be with peaceful people. Emulate their gentle way of being.
- Live as a peace maker. Speak and act with peaceful purpose. Guide others to understanding and compromise.
- Find peace in music. Play a song, if you can. Listen, sing, be carried away.
- Take time to reflect. Give yourself space to just think and be.
- Choose to respond peacefully. Offer others benefit of the doubt. Contain your moods.
- Dine together in peace. Savour your meal as you share a peaceful space with others.
- Have a peaceful heart. Respect others. Live humbly, and love simply. Treat others the way you'd like to be treated.
EXERCISE: Make time for peace.
Make a plan to be outside, enjoying the peace in nature, this summer. Where will you go? Will you swim in a lake? Hike through the woods?
Commit to a simple activity that will bring your heart peace during those warmer days. Think of that cool room with the cosy couch. What will you enjoy in that peaceful space?
Get in the practice of stretching your muscles each day. Begin with a few simple poses. Remember that slow, mindful breathing is key. Start and end your day with a good stretch.
Share with your family your intention of becoming a more peaceful person. Consider what you'll say to them so they might take you seriously. Talk about ways you can show more peace to each other.
Write down 10 things you plan to do in the name of being more peaceful for the rest of this summer.
It can be small gestures, big changes, or both.
For the Future:
Make a plan to patch up a friendship. How will you make peace with this person? What will you say?
Practice being peaceful toward people in passing. Start with a smile.
Other ways you might show peace to strangers could be…
- Giving a random compliment.
- Expressing gratitude.
- Offering up your seat to someone else.
- Letting another car ahead of you on the road.
- Buying coffee for the person behind you in line.
- Tipping generously.
- Listening to a stranger share their troubles.
- Saying "please," "thank you," and "have a good day."
- Helping an elderly person carry something heavy.
- Holding the door open for someone else.
To really make a difference in your life join the Simplify your Life course. In this course you will learn new tools to help reduce stress and live more peacefully. This course will also help you create new habits in your life so you can make the tools you learn part of every day. For more details and to register click here